History of the Junior League of Indianapolis
In the fall of 1921, ten women established the Junior League of Indianapolis to promote voluntarism in our city. Throughout its history, the Junior League of Indianapolis has sought to demonstrate the effectiveness of trained volunteers through a wide range of projects and community activities. From the first efforts to equip and maintain the Occupational Therapy Department at Riley Hospital, to current efforts to improve literacy among children in the city of Indianapolis, the League has served as a catalyst in the community by bringing together other organizations and groups for action.
The Junior League of Indianapolis is part of an international organization representing more than 180,000 women in 294 Leagues in the United States, Canada, Great Britain and Mexico.
Long committed to historic preservation, the Junior League of Indianapolis is proud to have held headquarters in a landmark building. Built in 1904 by renowned architect Bernard Vonnegut, the Schnull-Rauch House is one of the few remaining examples of French Romanesque architecture in Indianapolis. The house was acquired by the Junior League of Indianapolis in 1979 from John G. Rauch. In 2009, the Schnull-Rauch House was sold to neighbor and world-renowned Children's Museum of Indianapolis.
The Junior League of Indianapolis is proud to have been involved with dozens of community organizations over the years. Learn more about our past projects here.
To read our recently published history, click here: